Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ah, the wonders of hydration...

Today I was reminded - quite vividly - of why it is so important to hydrate well before your run. Yes, we all know almost instinctively the need to hydrate during a run... you sweat and lose water, you get thirsty and you feel the physical need to drink water and/or some kind of electrolyte beverage such as Gatorade. However, speaking for myself, I very often ignore the importance of the pre-run hydration.

That little piece of neglect on my part came back to bite me in the rear. Since it was such a gorgeous day out today (mid 60's as I write this), I thought I would be crazy to forgo a run. So, with very little preparation I set out on my run. I ignored the fact that I had spent the previous several hours drinking nothing but coffee and eating nothing but heavy, high-fat, high-salt breakfast foods with almost no water to speak of. I also didn't take into account the fact that it's about 10-15 degrees warmer today than the weather I am accustomed to running in of late.

I took water with me on my run, but really, by that point it was too late. I started out okay for about the first mile or two, but by the time I was about 1/3 of the way through I was feeling really wiped out. I started drinking water at this point, but I have to be really cognizant of how much I drink during my run or I start to just feel bloated and have this distinctly unpleasant sensation of being able to feel the fluids sloshing around in my tummy... Ew! Anyway, because of this, I'm not going to be able to make up for any hydration shortfalls while the run is in progress, so at this point all I can do is forge on ahead to the best of my abilities and chalk it up to a learning experience.

When all was said and done, the run wasn't too horrible, but it wasn't real great either (notice my pace is a bit slower than usual). I cut it just a little short and walked a little more of the distance than I would normally have liked, but despite these little speed bumps, it really was a gorgeous day and I'm glad I got out. Warm and sunny is so much better than cold and wet when all is said and done... besides I think I learn my lessons best when they are bludgeoned into my head with a metaphorical big stick... like today's education in the need for adequate pre-run hydration!

Today's run
5.87 Miles
72 Minutes
4.9 mph (certainly not my best!)

No comments: