Saturday, September 17, 2011

Back in the Groove

Well, fortunately, my back pain didn't last too too long. By Tuesday I was feeling about 75% better and by Wednesday I felt like I might be up to a short run. I ran, but I could definitely feel the muscles and nerves tweaking in my back and down my leg (sciatic nerve???), so I slowed it down and ended up walking for most of Wednesday's workout. I had no ill effects from Wednesday's workout so I decided to try again. That day I ended up running a little over 5 miles. Then by Friday, I was able to run my full 7. It wasn't a pretty 7, but I think that had more to do with my attitude than with anything physical going on.

My back is still a little twinge-y so I know I'm not 100% yet, so it remains to be seen if a long run will happen on Monday or not. I hate to miss a second week of long runs with Girlfriend's Half coming up in just a few weeks, but I guess it's better to miss a long run or two now, than to be down and out for the long haul. It's just frustrating. I still don't know what, exactly, happened to me to make my back go all caddy-wampus like this, but then that's the way it happened the last time my back went out too. They say (the royal "they") that most of the time it has to do with twisting and lifting all in one motion... our backs definitely don't like that particular movement. I don't remember doing that last weekend, but who knows?

Anyway, I'm glad to say I'm back up and running... both literally & figuratively... sorry for the pun. I couldn't resist!

Friday's Run
7.62 Miles
90:03
5.08 mph
11:49 pace

Thursday's Run
5.30 Miles
60:19
5.27 mph
11:23 pace (not bad, considering!)

Wednesday's Run
3.0 Miles
Don't ask about particulars!

1 comment:

thewwchick said...

Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!! G;ad to hear you're feeling WAY better!!!! I thought of you today as I ran the 5k in PDX. Hope you can make the next one with us. :)