Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You're joking, right?

Some days just feel like this. Fortunately, today wasn't one of those days, however, we'll talk again on Friday. Heather thought I loved last Friday's 12 mile run so much that I was just dying to do it again... and stupid me, I agreed. So we're off for another dozen miles complete with killer hills for our long run this week.

As friends of mine who are hard-core runners have been following my blog, they are coming up to me to say they are envious of the number of training miles I'm logging... especially if they've had to cut back on their own miles due to injury. Now, I'm here to tell you that this form of envy is the sign of a someone with a serious running addiction. Maybe there will be a day when I'll look at friends of mine who are training for a half or whole marathon with envy when they tell me about the grueling 12 miles worth of hills they are doing, but I've got to say that I don't see this happening any time in my near future. In fact, I don't even really see any even short term reprieves in my near future. Almost the minute the half is done in May it will be time to start training for the half we have signed up for in the fall.

Nope, for me, 12 mile runs are just a grim reality.
  • I have a goal. 
  • I want to reach my goal. 
  • I train to reach the goal. 
  • End of conversation. 

Okay, yes, I will admit that there's a small part of me... maybe |--| that much that likes being able to tell people about the distances I'm running. It makes me feel a little bit more like a "real" runner. But for the most part, if I honestly thought that I could run a half marathon (or even better a whole marathon!) by just doing 6½ to 7 mile runs 3 times I week, I'd probably be content with that. I'm actually getting to a place where my regular runs are feeling relatively good. Saying that I enjoy them might still be a bit of a stretch, but I certainly don't hate them either... Uh oh... does that mean I might be on that slippery path moving towards a running addiction? Yikes! Scary thought, isn't it???

Today's Run
6.81 Miles
80 Minutes
5.1 mph

1 comment:

thewwchick said...

There must be a sick, twisted part of you that enjoys running 12 miles of torture with me. lmao