Friday, June 3, 2011

The National Weight Control Registry

As many of you probably already know, my venture into long distance running has been a part of my lifestyle makeover that I have been engaged in for almost three years now. To date I have lost nearly 75 pounds, but alas, I still have a ways to go.

However to me, even more worrisome than losing the weight is actually maintaining the weight loss - for both me and my fellow chubby runners. Most of us have heard the truly frightening statistics (which I am happy to hear might be improving somewhat) that almost 95% of people who have lost weight have regained all of it back within 5 years. In other words a 5% success rate for weight maintenance.

Well, in my research with (as Heather likes to call it) Dr. Google, I stumbled across a site that some of you might be interested in. It is called the National Weight Control Registry. It is run by two PhD's who are interested in learning about the characteristics of those who are actually successful in maintaining some kind of weight loss... and you can join the study! You can register with the NWCR if you have lost at least 30 pounds and have kept it off for more than a year. Go to their website and check it out!

A few interesting notes on their site about the people who have lost weight:
  • 98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.
  • 94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
  • There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.
    • 78% eat breakfast every day.
    • 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    • 62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

Yesterday's Run
7.0 Miles
84:13
5.0 mph

No comments: