Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sweat, sweat, go away!

I have to admit that despite us having one of the coolest summers on record here in the Pacific NW, I will not be sorry to see the heat (what little there's been) going away... at least as far as my runs are concerned. For most of this week, I felt like I could not consume enough water to slake my thirst. Unfortunately, the need for drink also has to be balance with the need to not slosh while I run... a very uncomfortable predicament, as I'm sure many of you can also attest. I'm not sure the disappearance of the warmer temps will eliminate the urge I have some days to drink until I feel bloated, but hopefully it might reduce it, at least a bit.

My DH found a little piece of information, which in retrospect, is really a "D'UH" thing, but I don't think most of us think about it or even realize what is really happening. When the humidity is higher (I suspect it has been for most of this summer), your body continues to sweat BUT the air's ability to evaporate your sweat is greatly reduced. This leads to an inefficient cooling mechanism for your body and thus you can overheat much more easily the higher the humidity. So, that's just one more thing for everyone to keep in mind while they head out during these warmer, muggier months.

Did I mention I won't be sorry to see the heat go away? Unfortunately, me and my tomato plants are of differing opinions on this matter... let's hear it for green tomatoes!

Friday's Run
7.64 Miles
90:00
5.09 mph
11:47 pace

Wednesday's Run
7.0 Miles
82:57
5.06 mph
11:52 pace

1 comment:

thewwchick said...

On one hand, I'm glad it's not very humid here. On the other, humidity does act as a buffer against the sun to some degree. I'm torn. Good thing it's a cool, cloudy morning so I don't have to deal with either for today's 6 mile run. lol