Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Coach Scruggs

I know that most of us that run primarily for reasons of health and fitness don't usually enlist the services of coaches... even if, ideally, we'd have one to push us that extra little bit, this is a luxury most of us can't afford.

It is for this reason that I feel extremely lucky to have a personal coach who oversees many of my daily workouts. I'd like to introduce you all to Coach Scruggs...

Our cat, Scruggs is one of four cats that my DH and I have... yes, we are a little crazy... but she is the only one that has taken it upon herself to supervise most of my indoor workouts. Our treadmill is in the garage and on days that I opt to do a treadmill run or a hill-climbing routine, the other cats will come and go throughout the time that I am down there, but she is the only one who will come and perch herself on one of the tables or stools in our garage and monitor my progress. If I have to get off the treadmill for any reason during my workout (such as a potty break or to grab the towel I forgot before I started), she will start meowing at me as if to say "Get back on there! You are NOT done yet!" and remarkably, she'll usually stay perched on her stool until I come back into the garage to get back on the treadmill to finish.

It is only after I am done with my workout for the day and am still standing on the treadmill putting away my earphones or stretching or just trying to catch my breath for a minute that she will make her way over actually ON to the treadmill herself (the belt is stopped by this point) and will start talking to me again, meowing away, telling me how my overall workout was for the day, what she thought my form looked like and if I stopped and walked too many times during the course of the hour+ that it takes me to get through my routine. This is pretty funny that she has appointed herself my personal coach... and although she might not always get the results out of me that maybe she (or I) would like, it's always nice to know she's in my corner cheering me on. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of what can some days be a pretty monotonous workout.

And the best part about having a cat as a personal coach??? She's very affordable! Usually all she needs after she gives me her personal feedback for the day is a bit of scratching behind the ears. Or maybe a kitty treat or two. All in all, I'd say that's a pretty good deal for such consistent support!



Today's Run
Miles: 6.15
Time: 1:15
Pace: 4.9 mph
Treadmill Workout

1 comment:

thewwchick said...

HAAAA!!!! Cute picture! You need to hang it in the garage. lol